Do you have weeds growing in your lawn?
Common weeds found in lawns in Alberta include:
- Dandelions are a nuisance perennial weed.
- Dandelions are the most common broadleaf weed found in most lawns.
- White clover is a nuisance perennial weed.
- White clover are fond of growing in sparse lawns where competition from grass is weak.
- Canada thistle is a perennial noxious weed. Noxious weeds have the ability to spread rapidly.
- Learn more about Canada Thistle here, compliments of the Government of Alberta.
Ground Ivy or Creeping Charlie
- Creeping Charlie is a perennial invasive plant.
- This may be a pretty plant, but according to Bob Villa, “Left to its own devices, Creeping Charlie can quickly take over landscaping beds, even a lawn.” For more info on “How To: Get Rid of Creeping Charlie”, click here.
- Quackgrass is a perennial invasive plant.
- It is difficult to control as they do not respond as well as other weeds to selective herbicides.
Perennial weeds will come back each year unless the roots are destroyed. Their extensive root systems, including taproots, makes them more difficult to control.
Nuisance weeds are fairly easily controlled if management actions are taken.
Wheatland County has put together an Identification Guide for Alberta Invasive Plants. You can download it here.
The best way to prevent weeds from growing in your lawn is to have a thick and healthy lawn. Weeds are opportunists. If you have an unhealthy and sparse lawn with bare patches, weeds will appear, grow, multiply and try and take over.
Tips to Prevent these weeds from growing in your lawn:
Improve turf density -> Maintain a thick lawn
- Overseed to get rid of bare patches and improve lawn density
Improve turf health
- Fertilize regularly
Properly maintain your lawn
- Mow regularly keeping your lawn at a height of 2.5″ to 3″
- Water appropriately
If you have weeds growing in your lawn and need a hand with controlling them, we offer weed control services. Multiple applications help to control broadleaf weeds and create a lush, healthy lawn to help keep weeds at bay.
We also offer a variety of services to improve the health of your lawn including overseeding, aeration, fertilizer and more. Learn more about our range of services here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our team and they will be happy to help you.